Briefing notes
Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Children »

Testimony: A.F.A.O.


Name: A.F.A.Q.
Age: 14
Date: 27 April 2017
Location: Kfr Qaddum, West Bank
Accusation: Throwing stones

On 27 April 2017, a 14-year-old boy from Kafr Qaddum is arrested by Israeli soldiers at 2:30 a.m. and accused of throwing stones. He reports being interrogated without being informed of his legal rights. He is released without charge 15 hours later.

I woke up at around 2:30 a.m. when I heard commotion outside our house. Israeli soldiers had jumped over the fence into our courtyard and then started to bang at the front door. My father answered and some soldiers entered and told my father to bring everyone to the living room.
When we were in the living room the commander asked me for my name and then told me to getmy identity card. I told him I was too young to have an identity card but he thought I was lying and lost his temper. Then he checked my age on my father’s identity card and told my father I was under arrest. He told me to change and then took me outside the house without giving my family any documents.
Once outside the soldiers blindfolded me and tied my hands to the front with two plastic ties connected to each other. The ties were very tight. Then they took me to the back of a jeep where I sat on a seat. The jeep drove a short distance to the settlement of Qedumim.
When we arrived at the settlement I was taken to a room where I sat on a chair and a doctor examined me. The doctor removed the blindfold and asked me whether I suffered from any illnesses and then blindfolded me again.
A soldier then brought me some food but I could not eat because I was still tied and blindfolded. I asked them to remove the ties and the blindfold so that I could eat but they refused. I remained there until around 9:00 a.m.
At around 9:00 a.m. I was put in a police car and taken to the police station in Ariel settlement. We arrived at the settlement at around 11:00 a.m. and I was immediately taken for interrogation.
The interrogator did not inform me of any rights and immediately accused me of throwing stones at soldiers. He told me he had photographic evidence against me. I denied the accusation and told him this was not true because I did not throw stones at soldiers. Then he told me it was better for me to confess because if I did not he was going to lock me up in prison for a long time. He also told me my future would be destroyed because I would not be able to enter university and I would not be given a permit to work in Israel.
I was interrogated for about three hours. In the end the interrogator asked for my father’s number and called him and told him to come to the police station. My father came to the police station and he was allowed to attend that last part of the interrogation. Then I was taken to another room where I was interrogated by another interrogator.
The second interrogator also did not inform me of my rights and showed me a picture of a boy throwing stones at soldiers and claimed the boy was me. The boy had a mask on his face and I told the interrogator this was not me. He then wanted to know who the boy was if it wasn’t me. I told him I did not recognise the boy. Then he asked me for names of boys who take part in protests in the village and I told him I had nothing to do with protests because I focus on my school work.
At the end of the interrogation the interrogator did not ask me to sign any documents. Then they took my photograph and fingerprints and took me to the commander in charge and brought my father in. The commander asked me some questions in the presence of my father. He asked me general questions and the main purpose was to warn me in front of my father and to deter me from taking part in protests. The commander kept us for about 30 minutes and did not allow my father to say anything.
At around 5:30 p.m. I was released without charge and I went home with my father. We arrived home at around 6:00 p.m.