Briefing notes
Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Children »

Testimony: M.S.R.E.


Name: M.S.R.E.
Age: 15
Date of incident; 3 May 2016
Location: Al Jalazun, West Bank
Accusation: Throwing stones/Molotovs
On 3 May 2016, a 15-year-old youth from the Al Jalazun refugee camp is arrested by Israeli soldiers at 3:00 a.m. after the door to the family home is blown open with explosives.
I woke up to the sound of our front door being blown open at around 3:00 a.m. Shortly after Israeli soldiers entered our home and one of them aggressively pulled me out of bed. He asked me for my identity card and then told me I was under arrest. The soldiers did not give us any documents and did not explain the reason for my arrest. They did not tell my family where they were going to take me.
The soldiers took me outside where they tied my hands to the back with three plastic ties: one on each wrist and one connecting the two. They also blindfolded me. I was then led on foot towards the main road. On the way I was beaten and kicked.
I was led on foot to Bet El settlement where I was examined by a doctor. I was then taken to a room with empty metal boxes which the soldiers kept banging on with their guns to keep me and the other detainees awake.  I remained in the room until around 4:00 p.m.
I was then taken to the back of a jeep where I sat on a seat. The jeep drove to the police station in Binyamin settlement where I waited in a room for about two hours. During this time I was given some food which didn’t look very appetizing. I asked to use the toilet but I was not allowed. At around 7:00 p.m. I was taken for interrogation.
As soon as I entered the interrogation room a soldier removed the blindfold but kept the ties on. The interrogator asked me for my father’s number but in the beginning I refused to give it to him. Then he explained to me that he wanted my father’s number to ask him to appoint me a lawyer so I gave him the number. He told me I had the right to remain silent and the right to consult with a lawyer.
The interrogator then turned a tape recorder on and immediately started to question me. He accused me of throwing stones and fire bombs at soldiers and repeated the allegations again and again. I denied the accusation. About 30 minutes later I was taken to see another interrogator who repeated the same allegation. I denied the accusation again. Then I was taken to see a third interrogator and the same thing happened again.
The third interrogator asked me to sign some documents in Hebrew. In the beginning I refused to sign but then I did as the interrogator told me the documents were a criminal examination which I didn’t understand.
I was then photographed and fingerprinted and taken back to the room where I was earlier. At around 10:30 p.m. I was transferred to Ofer prison. As soon as we arrived I was taken to a room where I waited until midnight. I was then strip searched and taken into Section 13.
One day later I was taken to Ofer military court where I waited from 7:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. In court the military judge ruled that my family should put up a bond of NIS 10,000 which would be payable immediately and if I was arrested near the main road again. I was released about 30 minutes later on 4 May 2016. My parents were waiting for me outside Ofer and I went home with them.