Briefing notes
Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Children »

Testimony: Y.M.M.T.


Name: Y.M.M.T.
Age: 15
Date: 7 April 2018
Location: Deir Nidham, West Bank
Accusation: Throwing stones
On 7 April 2018, a 15-year-old youth from Deir Nidham is arrested by Israeli soldiers at 3:00 a.m. He reports that he was permitted to speak to a lawyer prior to interrogation but the interrogator did not inform him of his right to silence.
My mother woke me up at around 3:00 a.m. and told me Israeli soldiers were surrounding our house. Then I heard loud banging at the front door. My father answered and about 20 soldiers entered our home. Two of them were wearing masks. 
The commander told my father to bring the family to the living room. When the commander saw me he told everyone else to step back. Then soldiers entered my bedroom and took some clothes out of my wardrobe.
Then they showed my father photographs of clashes with soldiers and pointed to a boy wearing similar clothes to the ones they found in my bedroom. My father denied it was me and told him the clothes are very common. My father told the commander he wanted my mother to have a look at the photographs and she too denied it was me. 
The commander then told my parents that I was under arrest. He showed my father a document in Hebrew and asked him to sign it but I don’t know whether my father had signed it or whether he was given a copy or not.
Then they took me outside and a soldier spoke to me in Hebrew but I did not understand what he was saying. Then the soldiers took me to the back of a jeep and made me sit on the metal floor. Inside the jeep I was blindfolded and tied to the front with 2 plastic ties on top of each other. The ties were tight and painful and I asked the soldier to loosen them but he refused. 
The jeep drove me to a nearby military base. On the way I was slapped and sworn at and called “ ason of a whore”. At the base I was examined by a doctor who removed the blindfold during the examination.
Then I was taken to a shipping container where I stayed until 8:00 a.m. At around 8:00 a.m. I was taken to Huwwara military base but I was not taken inside. I think the soldiers picked something up. Then I was taken to the police station in Binyamin settlement where I waited in a room for about 7 or 8 hours. 
During this time I was able to use the bathroom but the soldiers shouted at me each time I requested. There was some food in the room, some bread and jam and I ate a little bit. I could not tolerate the blindfold so I removed it. The soldiers shouted at me but I ignored them. I complained about the ties and a policeman tried to cut them off using a lighter and I was terrified; I thought he was going to burn my wrists. Then he brought a tool and replaced the ties with metal hand cuffs which were not painful. 
Later on I was told I could speak to a lawyer. A lawyer came to the room and spoke to me and the other boys who were with me. The lawyer told me I had the right to remain silent during the interrogation. He also advised me not to sign any documents and not to confess to anything. He also told me if the interrogator tells me another boy had confessed against me to say I had nothing to do with that boy. During this whole time I could not sleep. At around 6:00 p.m. I was taken for interrogation.
The interrogator was in civilian clothes and had a voice recorder on his desk. He removed the handcuffs and called my father and told him he was about to start questioning me. He did not tell me I had any rights. Then he wanted to know what another boy in the waiting room had told me. I told him nothing. Then he told me that boy had confessed against me. I told him I did not know that boy. Then he showed me a T-shirt and asked whether it was mine and I told him it was not. Then he asked me to put it on and it was too small so I could not put it on.
Then he asked me why I throw stones at soldiers and I told him I do not throw stones. The interrogation lasted for about 30 minutes. During the interrogation the interrogator thumped the table twice but he was calm the rest of the time. At the end of the interrogation he showed me documents in Hebrew and asked me to sign them but I refused to sign. 
Then I was taken back to the waiting room where I stayed until around 7 or 8 p.m.. Then a soldier told me they were going to take me to Ofer prison. At Ofer I was searched in my shorts and then I was taken to Section 13 where I had some milk and biscuits and I went to bed. 
The following morning I was taken to Ofer military court. My parents were not there but my lawyer was and the hearing was adjourned. I was taken back to prison. 
On 12 April 2018 I was told I was going to be released on bail. My father had to pay 500 shekels and I was told my next hearing was scheduled on 18 December 2018. 
I was released on 12 April 2018, at around 11:00 p.m. My father was waiting for me outside Ofer. My father and I spent the night at our relatives’ house in Ramallah and we went home in the morning.