Briefing notes
Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Children »

Testimony: Y.J.M.Z.


Name: Y.J.M.Z.
Age: 16
Date of incident: 11 September 2016
Location: Zububa, West Bank
Accusation: None

On 11 September 2016, a 16-year-old youth from Zububa is detained by Israeli soldiers at 9:00 p.m. in order to "teach the other boys a lesson". He is released 7 hours later.

I was with some friends in the courtyard of our house. when suddenly a group of Israeli soldiers entered. It was around 9:00 p.m. We were terrified and we all ran into the house. As soon as we entered the house the soldiers followed us into the kitchen and asked us to stand up against the wall. We were searched and a soldier took my mobile phone out of my pocket and dragged me and my friends outside.
Once outside I was pushed into a military jeep. My father tried to understand the reasons for the soldiers’ behavior but the soldiers ignored him. The soldiers made me sit on a seat and the jeep drove away. The soldiers didn’t tell me or my father the reason for my arrest or where they were taking me.
The jeep stopped in the centre of the village where the soldiers blindfolded me and tied my hands to the front with one plastic tie which was not painful. The jeep then drove towards the nearby military base at Salem where it stopped for a few minutes before driving for another 15 minutes towards Al Jalama checkpoint. At Al Jalama I was taken to a room where I sat on the floor. I was still tied and blindfolded and there were soldiers in the room.
One of the soldiers removed the tie and then re-tied it with my hands behind my back. The tie was very tight this time. Another soldier asked me for my name and where I came from but did not tell me why I was detained. Another soldier told me I was arrested to teach the other boys who throw stones at soldiers a lesson and to make sure we never ever approach the wall.
I begged the soldiers to allow me to use the toilet and they finally did. They also brought me some water and allowed me to sleep.
At around 4:00 a.m. the soldiers removed the tie and the blindfold and released me near the military base. It happened that a person from the village was there at the time and he took me home.