Briefing notes
Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Children »

Testimony: N.A.A.

 Name:  N.A.A.
 Age:  14 years
 Date of incident:  3 August 2014
 Location:  Al Mazra’a, West Bank
 Accusation:  Throwing stones
On 3 August 2014, a 14-year-old boy from the village of Al Mazra’a ash Sharqiya is arrested by Israeli soldiers and accused of throwing stones.
“I was arrested near Route 60 to the west of my village; it was around 9:00 p.m. I was with four friends. Suddenly a group of Israeli soldiers appeared nearby and started to shout at us telling us to stop. They threatened to shoot us if we did not stop. We were told to lie down on our stomachs with our hands behind our heads."
"One of the soldiers punched me on the head twice. Then the soldiers separated us from each other. They made me sit by a stonewall and a soldier searched me thoroughly. Then I was tied with one plastic tie with my hands behind my back, which caused me a lot of pain. A soldier slapped me on the face and swore at me calling my mother a whore. I told the soldier not to hit me but he got very angry and hit me on the back. I screamed out of pain and the soldier hit me with his helmet on the head.”
“I remained on the ground for about half-an-hour. Then they asked me to stand up and forced me to walk towards Route 60. I walked for about 10 minutes before I arrived at the road where some Israeli military jeeps were waiting. The soldiers made me sit on the ground near the jeep for about half-an-hour. I complained that the tie was very painful and a soldier replaced it with a different tie, which was less tight. I was then put in the back of a jeep with the other boys and made to sit on the metal floor. The soldiers put their boots on me."
"The jeep drove for about five minutes before it stopped at a military base near a settlement. I could hear the voices of settlers. I was immediately blindfolded and taken out of the jeep and made to sit on the ground in an outdoor area. I remained there for about two hours. There were soldiers guarding us all the time who occasionally hit me and the other boys. I think that some settlers also took part in hitting us.”
“At some point a soldier removed the blindfold and a doctor asked me some medical questions. I told the doctor that my arm hurt because I was beaten. The doctor replied that my arm hurt because I was throwing stones. A soldier then took me to another location and blindfolded me again. A dog started to sniff me. Then the dog grabbed my trousers and I pushed it away. A soldier got angry because I pushed the dog and started to punch me on the head and to swear at me. I remained there on the ground for about three hours, after which I was put in another vehicle.This time I sat on a seat. The vehicle drove for about 15 minutes before it stopped at the settlement of Binyamin. I was taken out of the vehicle and left on the ground. I was not given anything to eat or drink but I was allowed to use the bathroom.”
“At around 9:00 a.m. I was taken for interrogation. The interrogator removed my blindfold but kept me tied. He was dressed in civilian clothes. Before he started to question me he said that I had the right to remain silent and the right to speak to a lawyer. He then asked my for my father’s telephone number and called him. He told my father to find me a lawyer. I was briefly allowed to speak to my father. The interrogator then started to question me even though I had not seen a lawyer. He said that the soldiers had captured me as I was on my way to throw stones. He also said that I had set fire to some tyres. I denied the accusations. The first round of interrogation lasted for about 30 minutes. I was then sent back to the courtyard where I waited with the other boys. I remained in the courtyard for about five hours. I was allowed me to use the bathroom and I was brought some water. They also brought me some food but it tasted so bad that I couldn’t eat it. The interrogator then took me for a second round of interrogation.”
“During the second interrogation I was again accused of throwing stones. This time the interrogator told me my friends had confessed against me. When he told me my friends had confessed against me I confessed to throwing stones and setting fire to tyres. The interrogator then printed out a document in Hebrew and asked me to sign it. I signed it although I couldn’t understand what it said. I was then photographed and fingerprinted and taken back to the courtyard where I remained until around 8:00 p.m.”
“At 8:00 p.m. I was put in a troop carrier and driven to Ofer prison, near Ramallah. The journey took about 30 minutes. I remained inside the vehicle until around midnight when a soldier told me they had decided to release me. I was taken in another vehicle together with some other prisoners and we were dropped off somewhere we didn’t recognize. We started to walk along the road until a Palestinian car stopped and gave us a lift to the village of Anata. I then called my parents who came and took me home.”
“A week later an interrogator called my parents and told them I was released by mistake. He also told them I had a hearing in Ofer military court on 15 August. On 15 August my father and I went to Ofer military court where we waited until late afternoon. My name was never called and I never went into the courtroom. At the end of the day a lawyertold my father that my hearing was adjourned until late September. Today is 15 September and we still have not been contacted about the new hearing date.”