Briefing notes
Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Children »

Testimony: A.A.M.Y.


Name: A.A.M.Y.
Age: 15
Date of incident: 12 May 2016
Location: Beituniya, West Bank
Accusation: Throwing stones

On 12 May 2016, a 15-year-old youth from Beituniya is arrested by Israeli soldiers at 11:00 a.m. and accused of throwing stones. He is released without charge 13 hours later.

I was on my way home from school at around 11:00 a.m. following an exam. There were clashes near my home between some boys and Israeli soliders. The soldiers fired tear gas and I tried to run away from the gas because I have breathing problems. The soldiers chased and detained me.
One of the soldiers kicked me very hard on my leg. I felt severe pain and realized it was fractured near the foot. Then the soldiers blindfolded me and aggressively tied my hands behind my back with one plastic tie which was painful. Then they pushed me into the back of a jeep and made me sit on a seat.
The jeep drove to Ofer prison where I was left on the ground for about 30 minutes. Then I was taken to a police vehicle where I sat on a seat and I was driven with a group of other detainees to Atarot police station. I arrived at Atarot at around noon.
At Atarot I sat on the ground in a room and the commander came and asked me for my father’s telephone number. He then called my father and asked him to come to the police station to attend my interrogation. Then I was taken to a waiting room where soldiers yelled and swore at me and the other detainees. They said things like "son of a whore" and "brother of a whore". At around 3:00 p.m. I was taken for interrogation.
My father arrived and accompanied me to the interrogation room. He had to carry me into the interrogation room because I was in severe pain and couldn’t walk. The soldiers tried to force me to walk but my father yelled at them in Hebrew and then carried me into the room.
The interrogator immediately asked my father to remain silent and not to say a word. Then he asked me what I was doing near the Wall and why I was throwing stones at soldiers. He did not inform me of any rights. I told him I was going home after school and I wasn’t throwing stones. I explained to him that I tried to run away from the tear gas because I had problems breathing and that was when the soldiers arrested me. He ignored what I told him and repeated the same questions again. I denied the accusation and did not confess.
After about 30 minutes the interrogator then asked me to sign a document in Hebrew and told me it was my testimony. My father read it and told me it was ok to sign it and I did. My father then carried me back to the waiting room on the ground floor where I was given some food and water.
The commander then came and told us that four of the boys who were detained would be released. Shortly afterwards some soldiers told all the parents to leave and wait for us at Ofer prison but the parents refused to leave us alone. After some argument the parents left and my father left with them.  About 30 minutes later I was taken to Ofer prison with three other boys where we were released at around midnight. My father was waiting for me.
My father took me to the hospital in Ramallah where an x-ray showed a fracture in my foot. I was in plaster for three weeks.