Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Children »

Testimony: I.A.B.Z.


Name:  I.A.B.Z.
Age:  16
Date:  30 May 2021
Location:  Beit Ummar, West Bank
Accusation:  Throwing stones/Molotov cocktails

On 30 May 2021, a 16-year-old minor from Beit Ummar was arrested at Etzion police station following a telephone summons. He reports speaking to a lawyer by phone prior to interrogation but not being informed of his right to silence. 

An Israeli policeman phoned my father in the morning while he was at work and told him to bring me to the police station inside the settlement of Etzion immediately. My father phoned my sister, who woke me up, and told me to get ready because my father was going to take me to the police station. 
When my father came home he took me to the petrol station near the police station where we were met by a police car. We arrived at the petrol station at around 12:30 p.m. I was taken to the police car and a policeman told my father to drive behind us to the police station. The police car first drove to the police station in Bitar Illit settlement and then turned around and went to Etzion police station. When we arrived I was immediately taken for interrogation.
Before questioning me, the interrogator phoned a lawyer. The lawyer told me not to worry and not to confess because there was no evidence against me. Then, without informing me of my right to silence the interrogator accused me of throwing stones and a Molotov cocktail at soldiers. I denied the accusation. Then he told me he had fingerprint evidence against me. Still, I denied the accusation. 
The interrogator was calm and his questions were short. He questioned me for about 20 minutes and did not ask me to sign any documents. After the interrogation I was given a quick medical examination and then I was taken to a cell at Etzion. I was searched in my boxer shorts and I spent one day in the cell by myself. Then they brought in another detainee and I was left in the cell with the other boy for a week. 
I was detained on a Sunday. On Wednesday I had a military court hearing. My parents were not informed and so they did not attend. My detention was extended and the hearing was adjourned.  The following day I had another court hearing but I was not taken to court. My lawyer appeared on my behalf and he was able to close my file with a fine of NIS 1,000. My father paid the amount on Sunday and I was released on the same day, 6 June 2021. A police car dropped me off by Al Arrub refugee camp and I took a taxi to my village. I arrived home at around 1:00 p.m. My parents were not expecting me and they were very happy to see me home. 
I am not sure about the exact conditions of my release and I don’t think I need to go to court anymore.