Briefing notes
Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Children »

Testimony: A.M.M.

Name: A.M.M.
Age: 14 years
Date of incident: 1 January 2014
Location: At Tabaqa, West Bank
Accusation: Throwing stones
On 1 January 2014, a 14-year-old from the village of At Tabaqa, is arrested by Israeli soldiers at 9:00 p.m. and accused of throwing stones. He is released nine hours later without charge.
“I was arrested from home at around 9:00 p.m. I was still awake when Israeli soldiers knocked at the door and my father answered. About 10 soldiers entered the house. One of the soldiers introduced himself as Captain Yousef. He told us he was in charge of our area. Captain Yousef asked my father for Ali and my father pointed to me. Captain Yousef then told me father they had come to arrest me. He did not tell my father why they were arresting me or where they were taking me and he did not give us any written documents. Captain Yousef asked me to get dressed. Then the soldiers took me outside the house where they tied my hands to the front with one plastic tie which wasn’t too tight. They made me wait until they arrested another person from the village. They walked me for about 500 meters to the entrance of the village where military jeeps were waiting. Soldiers pushed me on the way and made me step into water puddles. I was then put in a bus and blindfolded.”
“The bus drove for about five minutes and stopped at an Israeli military base near my village. One of the soldiers removed my blindfold and showed me some photographs on his mobile phone of boys throwing stones. The soldier wanted me to tell him the names of the boys. I told him I didn’t know the boys in the photos. Soldiers then took me off the bus and made me sit on the ground in an outdoor area for about three hours. It was a very cold night.”
“After about three hours I was taken to an interrogation room where an interrogator wearing a military uniform was sitting. He did not inform me of my right to silence and that I had the right to consult with a lawyer. He asked me for my name and age and then asked me if I knew the names of boys who throw stones at soldiers. I told him I didn’t know any names. Then he told me he had information that I was throwing stones. I told him this wasn’t true at all. My hands were tied during the interrogation. The interrogation lasted for about 30 minutes. The interrogator slapped me lightly to try to scare me and make me confess. He was also writing but did not show me the document.”
After the interrogation I was then taken to see a doctor. The doctor asked me if I suffered from any illnesses or allergies. I was then taken to the bus where I was asked to sit on the seat and a soldier blindfolded me. The bus drove for about 30 minutes to the settlement of KiryatArba.  I was taken into a room where an Israeli policeman was sitting. The policeman asked me some personal questions photographed and fingerprinted me and took me to another room where I sat on a bench with a soldier was guarding me. At around 5:00 a.m. a policeman came to tell me I was going to be released. He also told me they had contacted the Palestinian police at the District Coordination Office (DCO) and asked them to come and pick me up. The policeman removed the plastic tie and walked me to the front gate of the settlement where the Palestinian police were waiting for me. I was taken to the Palestinian police station in Hebron. On the way they called my father and asked him to come and pick me up. My father came to the police station at 6:00 a.m. and took me home.”