Briefing notes
Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Children »

Testimony: N.T.H.I.


Name:  N.T.H.I.
Age:  16
Date:  9 January 2018
Location:  Al 'Arrub, West Bank
Accusation:  Throwing stones

On 9 January 2018, a 16-year-old youth from Al 'Arrub refugee camp is arrested by Israeli soldiers at 1:30 a.m. He reports being interrogated without first being informed of his right to silence and his right to consult with a lawyer.

I was asleep on the couch in the living room when I woke up to the sound of loud banging at our front door. It was around 1:30 a.m. My mother opened the door and about 30 Israeli soldiers entered our home and asked for me and my brother. They gave my father a document in Hebrew and asked him to sign it and he did.
Then they took me outside where they tied my hands to the front with three plastic ties: one on each wrist and another connecting the two. The ties were very painful. Then they walked me towards the military watchtower at the entrance to the camp where they blindfolded me and left me out in the cold for about 30 minutes. Then I was put in a troop carrier where I sat on a seat. 
The troop carrier drove to the police station in Etzion settlement where I was taken to a small kitchenette. I sat on the floor from around 2:30 a.m. until around 8:00 a.m. Someone kicked and slapped me while I was tied and blindfolded. He also swore at me and called me a “son of a whore” and threatened to arrest my father.  I complained to the commander when he came to check on me but the soldier denied having kicked and slapped me. At around 8:00 a.m. I was taken for interrogation.
The interrogator was in civilian clothes and had a voice recorder on his desk. He left the room for about 10 minutes and then came back and removed the blindfold and the ties. He did not inform me of my rights and started to question me about throwing stones. He told me other boys had confessed against me. I denied the accusation and asked him to confront me with the boys who confessed against me. He told me he was not going to confront me with anyone and if I wanted to sort things out with them I should find them and if necessary beat them up.
Half-way through the interrogation he tied and blindfolded me again and made me stand for about an hour. He continued to question me while standing and accused me of throwing stones at soldiers and threatened to bring soldiers to beat me up if I did not confess. I continued to deny the accusation. He did not give me any documents to sign.
In the end the interrogator called a lawyer and allowed me to speak to him. The lawyer told me not to be afraid and to stick to my position. Then he told me he did not want to say much in front of the interrogator. 
After the interrogation I was led to the gate of the police station where a lawyer wanted to speak to me. But before I could speak to the lawyer I was rushed onto a bus to that took me to Ofer prison. 
At Ofer I was strip searched and taken to Section 13. Two days later I was taken to Ofer military court. My parents were not there because they were not informed of the hearing. My lawyer was there and the court wanted me to pay 2000 shekels but I refused and insisted I was innocent. The hearing was adjourned.
About a week later I had another hearing. My parents did not attend and the court reduced the amount I had to pay to 750 shekels. My lawyer accepted the reduced amount and the court decided to release me.
My parents paid the amount and I was released without charge on 22 January 2018. I went home with my father.