Briefing notes
Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Children »

Testimony: K.M.A.M.


Name: K.M.A.M.
Age: 17
Date of incident: 8 November 2016
Location: Al Jalazun, West Bank
Accusation: Throwing stones
On 8 November 2016, a 17-year-old youth from the Al Jalazun refugee camp is arrested by Israeli soldiers at 2:00 a.m. and later accused of throwing stones. He is released on bail of NIS 1,000 five days later.
My father woke me up at around 2:00 a.m. and told me Israeli soldiers had come to arrest me. I quickly put on my clothes and went to the living room where I saw the soldiers. One of the soldiers had my picture on his mobile phone. After he identified me he told me to say good-bye to my family because I was under arrest. He did not give my family any written documents and did not explain to us why they were arresting me or where they were taking me.
A soldier tied my hands behind my back with one plastic tie while I was still inside the house. The tie was painful. They also blindfolded me.
Once outside I was quickly forced into a jeep which was parked outside the house. I resisted and didn’t want to go. The soldiers then carried me and also beat me with the back of their guns and forced me into the jeep where I sat on a seat. As soon as the jeep moved the soldiers took turns in beating me. The jeep drove for about 15 minutes to the nearby settlement of Beit El.
After we arrived at the settlement I was put in a shipping container where I was left for about three hours. It was a very cold night. I asked to use the toilet once and they allowed me. During this time I was examined by a doctor.
After about three hours I was taken back to the jeep where I sat on the metal floor. The jeep drove for about 30 minutes to the police station in Binyamin settlement. At Binyamin I was left in a room where I sat on a chair for about three hours while still tied and blindfolded. Then I was taken for interrogation. It was around 10:00 a.m.
The tie and the blindfold were removed. There were four interrogators in the room. There was a tape recorder too. No one informed me of my rights and they immediately started to question me about throwing stones. One of the interrogators accused me of throwing stones at the settlement if Beit El. Another one showed me photographs of boys and wanted me to identify them. I refused to identify the boys and denied the accusation. At this point the interrogators lost their tempers and tried to scare and intimidate me by shouting at me. Each of them asked me the same questions in a loud tone of voice and slapped me when I denied the accusation. They did this one after the other. The interrogation lasted for about 90 minutes.
After about 90 minutes one of the interrogators printed out my statement in Hebrew and asked me to sign it. Another interrogator told me it was identical to what I had said. I signed the statement without understanding what was written. I was too scared and didn’t want them to beat me again.
I was then photographed and fingerprinted and then re-blindfolded and tied and taken to the back of a jeep where I sat on the floor. The jeep drove for about 30 minutes to Ofer prison and stopped outside the gate. I was left inside the jeep for a couple of hours. At around 1:30 p.m. I was strip searched and taken into Section 13.
A few days later, on 13 November 2016, I was told I had a military court hearing. I was taken to court at around 9:00 a.m. and I waited until around 2:00 p.m. before I was taken into the courtroom where my parents and a lawyer were present. In court the military judge repeated the same accusations and I continued to deny them. Then the court ordered my release on bail and my father had to pay NIS 1,000.
I was released on 13 November 2016, at around 4:00 p.m. I was not given a date for another hearing and I don’t know whether my file has been closed or not.