Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Children »

Testimony: I.M.I.J.


Name: I.M.I.J.
Age: 16
Date: 15 June 2019
Location: Sa'ir, West Bank
Accusation: Gun possession

On 15 June 2019, a 16-year-old minor from Sa’ir was arrested by Israeli soldiers at a checkpoint at noon. He reports being interrogated after speaking to a lawyer but not being informed of his right to silence. He was released without charge the same day.

I was in a taxi on my way to Bethlehem when we were stopped by a flying checkpoint set up by the Israeli military. It was around noon.

An Israeli policeman checked the identity cards of all the passengers. He went away and then came back and told me I was under arrest. He did not tell me why. He made me get out of the taxi and then painfully handcuffed my hands behind my back with metal handcuffs. I was taken to the back of a police vehicle and made me sit on the metal floor. I was then taken to the police station in Kiryat Arba settlement for interrogation.

At the police station I was searched with my clothes on and then I sat outside in a shipping container for about five hours before being taken for interrogation.

The interrogator asked me whether I was beaten and I told him I was not. He phoned a lawyer and allowed me to speak to him. The lawyer told me to remain silent. Then, without informing me of my right to silent, the interrogator told me he had information that I possessed a gun and that I used it to threaten someone with. I denied the accusation.

Then he showed me a satellite image of my neighbourhood and pointed to my house. Then he pointed to a cave in an open area in the village and told me I had hidden the gun in that area. He wanted me to tell him where the gun was hidden. I told him I had no guns.

Then he started to chat in Hebrew to someone else and I did not understand what they were talking about. Then they took my photograph and fingerprints and handed me over to the Palestinian police at 6:00 p.m. I was released without charge and I did not pay any fines. The Palestinian police then held me for two days, releasing me in the evening on 17 June 2019.