Comparative graph
Fact sheet
About us
Bookmark and Share
  change font size تصغير الخط تكبير الخط print
Home » Children »

Testimony: R.I.M.A.


Name: R.I.M.A.
Age: 17
Date: 8 August 2023
Location: Biddo, West Bank
Accusation: Throwing stones

On 8 August 2023, a 17-year-old minor from Biddo was arrested by Israeli soldiers from home at 2:30 a.m. He reports ill treatment including receiving a fractured hand. He reports being denied his basic legal rights under Israeli military law. He was released without charge on 15 August 2023. 

My mother woke me up at around 2:30 a.m. I opened my eyes and there were four soldiers in my bedroom aiming their guns at me. I later found out they had first gone to my grandparents’ house and my grandfather directed them to our house. The soldiers remained in our house for about 15 minutes. They told my father they wanted to arrest me and when my father asked them where they were taking me and why, they shouted and swore at my father and told him to shut up.  They did not search the house and did not give my family any documents.
At the front door a soldier tied my hands behind my back with one plastic tie which was tight and painful. Then the soldiers took me on foot for about 200 meters toward the mosque. A soldier grabbed me by the neck and pressed tight and tried to trip while we walked. When we arrived at the mosque, a soldier blindfolded me and then punched me in the stomach. He punched me so hard that I could not breathe. Then he pushed me into the back of a military jeep which was waiting and a soldier struck me on my left hand with the back of his gun. It was a painful blow. I later found out my hand had been fractured. 
I was forced to sit on the metal floor of the military jeep and I was taken to Atarot police station, in occupied East Jerusalem, where I was left in an outdoor cage. I arrived at Atarot at around 4:30 a.m. and I was interrogated in the afternoon. While waiting I was given some unappetising food and some water. A soldier shackled me and replaced the ties with metal handcuffs and then took me to the interrogation room. 
The interrogator was wearing an orange shirt and jeans. I think he had a camera attached to his computer. He did not inform me of my right to silence and immediately accused me of throwing stones. He did not give a specific date and I denied the accusation. He did not tell me where he got his information from. He shouted at me and was very aggressive telling me to confess. He threatened to keep me in prison for a long time. Still, I continued to deny the accusation.
He questioned me for about an hour. About half way through, he phoned a lawyer and put him on speaker phone. The interrogator was listening and the two of them were laughing and telling jokes. The lawyer told me he knew I had thrown stones and then told me not to tell the interrogator. I was suspicious of this person and hung up and did not want to speak to him. 
Then the interrogator continued to shout at me and accuse me of throwing stones. I continued to deny the accusation. He told me he had already revoked my father’s work permit and wanted me to confess. It turned out this was not true; my father’s work permit was not revoked. 
By this time my hand was causing me a lot of pain. I had wrapped it with the blindfold but it did not help much. I told the interrogator I was in pain and he gave me a pain killer. At the end of the interrogation he asked me to sign on an electronic device. I signed without paying attention to the language it was written in; I just wanted to finish because I was in pain. 
After the interrogation I was taken to Al Mascobiyeh interrogation centre in West Jerusalem where I was examined by a doctor. The doctor spoke to me in Hebrew and I did not understand what he was saying. Then they took me for an X-Ray. Then I was taken into a cell with another boy.
Two days later I was taken to court. My father was there and my detention was extended. I had four hearings, the last one, which on the day when I was released, I was not taken into the court room. 
I was released without charge on 15 August 2023. I was released at Al Jib checkpoint while they told my father to wait for me at Ofer. I borrowed someone's phone to call my father and told him where I was. My father sent me a taxi which took me to Ofer. My father and I then went home. We arrived home at around 5:00 p.m. The following day my father took me to the hospital and that was when I was told my hand was fractured.